A glimpse into the workings of a Reformationist Christian who loves the Lord, his wife, children, birddog and flyfishing...

Monday, July 7, 2008

Self Controll and a Good Walk


What a time my family and I had hiking in western Indiana. Pine Hill Nature Preserve does prove that Indiana has topography. It is a must see if you are passing through, it is not the Grand Canyon or the Grand Tetons, but it is quite beautiful for the Midwest. I was reminded of the glory and beauty God has created for us to enjoy. It brings to mind Psalms 96:6 "Splendor and Majesty are before Him, Strength and Beauty are in His sanctuary." God has granted us beauty and splendor in nature and it is a reflection of Him and the grace He has imparted to us. Many times as we wandered the backbone ridges and narrow canyons, I realized that God's greatness was far more vast than I could comprehend. Seeing my children excited about creation was great. They were inspired by the fossils they found laying along the streams and by the brilliant colors of the fungi that grew along the path.

Traveling with the crew can be a test of your self control as well. We have a smallish crossover and it is a bit cramped but with gas more than $4/gallon it make sense to be a good steward and be a little closer than the kids like. Self control is such a tenuous practice you have it one minute and the next it is out the window and you look like a crazed parent to passersby. I have been studying on the sin we pass down to our children and if we lack self-control guess what, they will be just like us. Luke 17 says this "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come." I hated to hear this the other day because I realized that it was me that was bringing the bad example of sin into there lives. Titus 2:11 & 12 teach us to say NO to ungodliness and live with self-control in this age. There you have it lack of self-control is ungodly and it is common in this age. So we are to practice self-control with our kids and spouse but how? We are good at keeping calm at work on a daily basis, but why not at home. I believe we want peace and calmness at home and when things go "wrong" we lash out at the ones we care for the most, not because we are blaming them but because we have not learned to release our frustration about our daily lives in a way that "Protects" our family.

That brings me to my final thought. Fly-fishing, time alone with your kids and quality alone time with your wife are the keys (at least for me). Make sure that your screen time is limited in the evening is what I have learned (that doesn't mean I always follow this rule), think of all of the unedifying things we read on the web and see on the news not to mention the so called entertainment on the television. I have read in the Word that all things are allowable (lawful) but not all things are profitable or edifying (build up, establish or strengthen a person). So have an edifying evening and if you have time spend the evening with out the box and with the family.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Thanks for sharing your secret location. I plan on taking my crew there sometime soon.

Indeed the earth crys out and sings a beautiful song if only we will turn off the noise around us will be able to hear the sweet music. Craig