A glimpse into the workings of a Reformationist Christian who loves the Lord, his wife, children, birddog and flyfishing...

Saturday, July 12, 2008


Saturday mornings are one of the best times of the weeks. This morning it rained 2.5 inches in about 90 minutes, so I guess that mowing and fishing are out. The kids are slowing arising from slumber, making their way into the living room sleepy-eyed and looking a little wiped out. We had a late night at a birthday party. They seemed to enjoy themselves no matter where we take them. I wish as an adult I had the same attitude and thought of everything as a new experience. I believe as we age we become more and more callused to the world and only want to do what we deem to be fun or profitable, never taking in to account that we may we enjoy something if we give it a chance. I think it is the same principle with people. There are people that we don’t want to spend time with maybe it is because we want to go do something else, maybe we don’t agree with their life style and the choices they have made, or maybe we just don’t want to take the time.

My wife has been reading a book about loving like Christ. Christ never didn’t make time for people, all people not just His friends and people He wanted to hang out but with the people we as modern-day Christian tend to shy away from. Matthew 5 says this: 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

I don’t think of the enemies in this passage as people who hate me but as people I don’t care to be around because they irritate me or I know they believe differently than I. Maybe I am their enemy because I am not reaching out to them. It is quite clear that Christ is saying get up off your hind end and make an effort we don’t have to nor are we commanded to lead people to Christ but we are command to love people and show them Christ. It is up to them to choose to follow Christ. I am a Calvinist and believe that God has already chose who will come to Him, that being said we do not know and we need to give everyone the opportunity to hear “The Message”.

Now then to the fishing report: 2 rather large bluegill and had a large 4# + largemouth break off. Rough time with the bucket mouth but what fun with the 6 weight. I need to start tying my own flies, I now see the need to “match the hatch”, plus I need a lot more sizes.

Next post I am going to tackle the issue of “Communicating with your Spouse”. I should be able to address that topic in about 2-3 short sentences or maybe 2 or 3 volumes of encyclopedias. Have a great weekend.

No comments: