A glimpse into the workings of a Reformationist Christian who loves the Lord, his wife, children, birddog and flyfishing...

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Funnelcakes and Fatherhood


Fair Report in lieu of a Fishing Report this week: Champion, Reserve Champion, Honor Group and a fourth place. What a great week at the fair. Oh I almost forgot 1 sweet tea, an ear of corn and a funnel cake.

There is a song I have been listening to lately “What’s a Boy to Do” by Mat Kearney, it has made me think long and hard. It is the story of a boy whose dad does not love him at least not in a way that is affirming of who he is and in the end “It's all quiet for the first time With no voices left to fall I saw a boy at the bottom of the bridge His car was left there on the top It's four o'clock in the morning Didn't need to be like this There's a white sheet left to cover up What should have been a holy kiss”. THIS IS A CALL TO ARMS FOR YOU DADS LOVE YOUR BOYS, hug them and love on them they will be gone soon. Give them what they need to know they are loved and that they are growing into the kind of men that we like to be around. Don’t let this time go by, build something with them, connect with them, go and play ball, see the movie they want, let them catch the big one, show them how to throw a curve ball or shoot, be their Hero, the right kind of hero the hero you always wanted. You can always watch your TV or fish with the guys but one day you’ll want to fish with your boy and he’ll busy chasing his dreams and won’t have time. Show him how to love his wife by loving yours. Don’t play favorites, like this account from Genesis 25:27-29 27 The boys grew up, and Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was a quiet man, staying among the tents. 28 Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob. We all know what happens in this story, betrayal and a broken relationship, our boys if given this environment will follow the path of Jacob and Esau, they will compete for love and favor. Love them in their own way. I have one son that loves skateboarding, not me I have trouble with skates and they are attached to my feet, but that doesn’t mean I can’t support his passion and guide him through his adventure. My other son thinks that Sci-Fi is the greatest thing in the world, sufficed to say, I watch a lot of fantasy movies about far away lands and galaxies. I love to fly fish so I encourage them to come with me but if they never learn to double haul cast that is ok, what my wife and I really want is our boys to grow into men that we can trust, respect and that will go through their lives walking with the Lord. Good luck being your son’s Hero.

No comments: