A glimpse into the workings of a Reformationist Christian who loves the Lord, his wife, children, birddog and flyfishing...

Friday, June 19, 2009

Wisdom is a Fruit?


Fishing might be good today we'll see. We are expecting to see big T-storms tonight.
I will make you a deal; I’ll give you some wisdom instead of gold because that is the better end of the bargain. What you don’t think so. Proverbs 8 tells us that wisdom is better than silver, gold and jewels; it is the choicest of fruit. Does that mean Yukon Cornelius should have been looking for wisdom and that wisdom is now a girl’s best friend? Wisdom dwells with prudence (defined as sound judgment) according to verse 12, I am pretty sure I have dwelt with her evil twin sisters indiscretion and rash behavior, at least when I was a younger man.
We should heed God’s words here in the eighth chapter of Proverbs, because if we do there are some great things attached to seeking wisdom. If we seek wisdom out riches, honor, righteousness, wealth and treasures not to mention being on the path of justice are sure to come. That sounds much better to me than debt, stress, ulcers, cheating and a rocky road. Have you been on the rocky road or the stress turnpike lately? We all have at some point. It seems when the road gets rough it tends to bump things into prospective and I head for the nearest exit on to the path of justice. The rocky road is a freeway, moving at 80 mph, but the path of justice is on a different speed. The Lord tells us we need to listen, watch, wait and heed instruction. The last time I checked our “world” doesn’t tend to value any of these attributes.
I remember as a boy I went with my Dad and Grandpa fishing in Wisconsin. We were out in a small boat enjoying the evening when the fish started to bite. As I watched my Dad he was focused on the big bass that was feeding on the edge of the lily-pads, Grandpa was just sitting there watching the bluegill suck the small bugs off the surface of the water, but I was going nuts constantly throwing my line out and then retrieving even before the bluegill had a chance to make that popping sound as they take the bait. I asked Grandpa, “Why are you just sitting there not trying to catch all these fish.” He replied “I have caught a lot of fish in my life and I am enjoying seeing you take your turn at catching a lot of fish.” I don’t remember how many fish I caught that night, but I do remember big beautiful green bass with the cavernous mouth and the smile on Grandpa’s face as Dad hooked that bass.
I don’t know if life is like fishing or not but now that I am pushing forty and have caught a lot of fish I understand my Grandpa’s wisdom in waiting and watching. He was blessed to see his son and grandson enjoy God’s Creation. Maybe this passage in Proverbs is not about fishing but about those attributes of listening, watching, waiting and heeding instruction. If I would not have done those things when my Dad taught me to fish and if he hadn’t done them when his Dad taught him to fish, then there would have been no fish, no blessing that night so many summers ago.
God promises us if we do these things we will be blessed. We will find favor with the Lord. The choice is yours; live life with your limited wisdom or watch, wait, listen and take heed to the Lord’s instruction and find favor with your heavenly Father.

No comments: