A glimpse into the workings of a Reformationist Christian who loves the Lord, his wife, children, birddog and flyfishing...

Friday, October 3, 2008

Lone Oak and Be There


This picture is titled "Lone Oak" don't end up like this oak.

"What's A Boy To Do"


I'm sure that I'm moving to St Louis
Three long years wondering here in New York City
I guess I'm looking for the right way to do this
I guess I'm looking for the right things to call pretty
Young boys playing in the park turning their backs to take a shot
You know I'll stay sharp around here 'cause they're stoning and leaving type
It's the kind of love that comes and goes when there's company coming around

What's a boy to do who knows no man now?
What's a boy to do who knows no man now?

Daddy's been looking down his nose at all of them
And I've been looking round for someone to tell me who I am
He kept saying I was to young to finish a fight
I'd die each time they came I never got to draw my knife
Well it was just a pair of shoes in a middle school room with the world watching in
And angel is crying I'm dying just a little inside as they ran away
Funny which words stick around 20 years down when you're driving alone

What's a boy to do when there's no man at home?
What's a boy to do when there's no man at home?

The words of this song have haunted me for over a month now. I wish I understood what causes a man to wound his son. It has happened to so many men I know; whether it was being left at a dance, being hit in the face, yelled at in front of your friends or maybe dad wasn't there emotional when you need him. We need to take a stand and fight for our boy’s attention, beat out the all of the screens in their lives. Take them hunting or fishing, teach them how to cut wood or build a fence, or God forgive me for saying this "play golf" (hate golf always will but if I can connect with my boy there I will do it). I have a son who loves skateboarding so we went to skateboarding camp, great fun. We are not going to be perfect fathers but we need to be there for our boys and most importantly teach them they have a heavenly Father who loves them and will never forsake them. If we are successful at that one point, we will be a good dad. Our boys will never feel abandon even when we screw up and aren’t there for them. That is it I am off to get everyone in the rack.


No comments: