A glimpse into the workings of a Reformationist Christian who loves the Lord, his wife, children, birddog and flyfishing...

Monday, January 26, 2009


January 12, 2009

No report from the great outdoors other than the bird feeder is a busy place when it is -15. Oh and when you cut wood in a cold winter woods you typically are all by yourself.

I am in the midst of a spiritual struggle or maybe better stated as a time of dissatisfaction. I am not sure which it is but I am sure it is not a time of sweet contentment. As the leader of our home I am responsible for all that besets my family, that being said sometimes that responsibility equals very heavy and perplexing decisions. As I have posted early, my wife and I are leading a study which is meant to strength marriages. Wouldn’t you know it, it is going great but now there are decisions to be made that are putting me at odds to some degree with my wife whom I love. I am told that I am to love my wife as Christ loved the Church. I am also told that my wife is to submit or follow my lead like I follow Christ’s lead. I am to love her as I love myself, keep her from harm, feed her, clothe and shelter her just as I would myself. I sometimes wonder how to do this when how I would choose to do these things for myself is very different than how she would do these things for herself.

There are no easy answers here on the Big Walnut, only the cold hard winds of winter blowing across the frozen pools of the stream where I enjoy spending summer afternoons. When the decisions of life come they remind my of the forecast of a winter snow, the go will be difficult but spring will soon burst forth and the earth once again will be beautiful and alive. I am humbled that the Lord God has called me to lead my house, and I am sure that I am not worthy of this high calling. Some may say it is not a high calling but I would disagree, for I am responsible for many lives that have been entrusted to me. These decisions will be met, discussed and decided and our lives will come out of this spiritual winter snow and spring forth anew.

My advice to myself and those who are reading is this; take heart and do not faint. Run a good race. Never doubt the leading of God for he is our stronghold in a time of trouble.

No comments: